April 3, 2011

Review: The Stranger

The Stranger by Albert Camus
About: Through the story of an ordinary man unwittingly drawn into a senseless murder on an Algerian beach, Camus explored what he termed "the nakedness of man faced with the absurd." (from amazon.com)

Review: The Stranger is a very interesting book. Even though I should have finished the quick read of 123 pages, it took me a bit longer (school and work will do that). The entire book the main character did hardly anything. He sat by his window, watched people, talked about his neighbours, drank, smoked, talked to his neighbours, sort of fell in love. Basically it was the life of an ordinary man who randomly kills someone else. The second half is his trial and it's interesting the way he thinks about life. It's insightful, interesting and I love that it's set in France. I enjoyed this book, it's not necessarily a dry read, but I think you have to be able to really imagine this book to like it. I recommend it for the avid book reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment