October 31, 2011

Review: Skinny Bitch

Skinny Bitch by Rory Freedom and Kim Barnouin


About: Freedman and Bamouin speak to the reader like a friend who isn't afraid to tell you what's on her mind. They back up their arguments by citing study after study and take the technical talk out of the discussion so as to make a more easily digested point. Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin started a movement when they wrote their bestselling manifesto, Skinny Bitch. Both a wake-up call and a kick in the ass, Skinny Bitch exposed the horrors of the food industry while inspiring people to eat well and enjoy food. They both live and pig out in Los Angeles. (from amazon.com)


Review: I've heard a lot about this book since it was released back in 2005. Six years later I manage to read it. Surprisingly a majority of the information in the book I already knew. Basically the book is about two vegan women who help you understand and realize what, or who, you are eating. They put it in perspective and really, they've made me, a five year vegetarian, go vegan and I've never felt better. It's important to know what we are putting in our bodies and where our food comes from. I found this book to be insightful and helpful for anyone looking for a healthier lifestyle! Best part? They give you a month long menu to help you become vegan! How cool is that.

Fun Reviews from Amazon.com
Hartford Courant
“…incredibly informative and entertaining… Co-authors Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin provide tough-love talk mixed with facts and common sense...This is the first "diet" book I've ever read that has made me laugh out loud numerous times. That being said, since no one warned me, I'll let you in on a secret - the book will gross you out. In the same vein as Fast Food Nation, there are graphic descriptions of factory farming and unsanitary dairy farm practices. It was easy for me to put down Fast Food Nation but this book is so funny, I had to keep going.

Almost immediately, I was one of the transformed. In fact, as soon as I got halfway through Chapter 4, "The Dead, Rotting Decomposing Flesh Diet", I had to call and change my dinner plans because I decided to go vegan on the spot.

West VA University's The Daily Athenaeum, 6/8/10
“a cynical, foul-mouthed read with only good intentions that could get you into your best bikini shape for this pool season…The book’s conversational tone makes for an interesting and entertaining read – not simply just dos and don’ts of dieting and exercise like most weight-loss plan guides.”

No comments:

Post a Comment