August 12, 2010

Review: Breakfast At Tiffany's

Breakfast At Tiffany's by Truman Capote

About: With her tousled blond hair and upturned nose, dark glasses and chic black dresses, Holly Golightly is top notch in style and a sensation wherever she goes. Her brownstone apartment vibrates with martini-soaked parties as she plays hostess to millionaires and gangsters alike. Yet Holly never loses sight of her ultimate goal - to find a real life place like Tiffany's that makes her feel at home. (from amazon.com)

Review: For some reason this 100 page story took me forever to read. Not that it was a bad book, or hard to read, I just felt like I never had time or was always reading something else. So it has sat in my purse for about three weeks now and finally I have finished it. When I first began reading this book I immediately imagined Holly Golightly as Audrey Hepburn, but about 25 pages in Holly took on a completely new image for me. She was just simply Holly Golightly, crazy, non-emotional, talkative, 'fake', beautiful, Holly Golightly. I absolutly loved her character, I loved the way everyone seemed to be inlove with her because of her charm, small frame and how she was always flawlessly beautiful even when she threw clothing on. The movie is actually very close to the book, except at the end I was waiting for the scene where she runs from the car in the pouring rain in her beige trench coat screaming "Cat, cat, where are you cat!" and Paul 'Fred' Varjak runs out and they kiss and find the cat and are happy. Yet in the book, she doesn't find the cat and 'Fred' doesn't ever kiss her even though he loves her. I like how Holly is just always herself throughout the book, she doesn't really change, she does eventually realize that Cat did belong to her and that she will never know how much she loves something until she throws it away. I really like the way Capote writes and how the story was all from the nameless Narrator's voice. I liked the part when Mag moved in and I simply did not like her, I like when Holly and 'Fred' go horseback riding in central park, when they steal masks from the store, when Holly plays her guitar (I kept thinking of 'Moon River' in my head), or the wild parties Holly has, how she bought fred the ugly bird cage, the way Holly talks...I just all around enjoyed this book. It was a fun quick read. Deffinitally one to buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment