October 21, 2010

The Crucible

Along with the Halloween book theme I'm trying to incorporate this month, here is another thrilling tale, this time about local witches and possessed girls.

The Crucible by Arthur Miller
About: Based on historical people and real events, Miller's classic play about the witch hunts and trials in 17th century Salem, Massachusetts, is a searing portrait of a community engulfed by hysteria. Written in 1953, The Crucible is a mirror which Miller uses to reflect the anti-Communist hysteria inspired by Senator Joseph McCarthy's "witch-hunts" in the U.S.

I haven't read this book in forever, I believe it was back in grade 11, and that was about five years ago, but I do remember it being very good. Also the movie with Wynona Rider is a good one to watch. I always recommend reading the book before seeing the movie, so be sure to check out the book first!

No comments:

Post a Comment