October 6, 2010

Review: This World We Live In

This World We Live In by Susan Beth Pfeffer

About: Susan Beth Pfeffer’s Life as We Knew It enthralled and devastated readers with its brutal but hopeful look at an apocalyptic event--an asteroid hitting the moon, setting off a tailspin of horrific climate changes. Now this harrowing companion novel examines the same events as they unfold in New York City, revealed through the eyes of seventeen-year-old Puerto Rican Alex Morales. When Alex's parents disappear in the aftermath of tidal waves, he must care for his two younger sisters, even as Manhattan becomes a deadly wasteland, and food and aid dwindle.


     With haunting themes of family, faith, personal change, and courage, this powerful new novel explores how a young man takes on unimaginable responsibilities.

Review: I have to say I enjoyed these books, I enjoyed them a lot. I was excited when I finally got this book from the library and actually had time to read it. I'm not sure why but I really enjoy the somplicity of these stories. Its dramatic and intense without being a 'thriller', and the 3rd and final book leaves nothing out. It returns to Miranda, writing in her dairy when her father, step mother and new baby brother arrive with three strangers. The two books meet when Alex and Julie Morales are two of the unexpected guests. Miranda records her families life and problems and situations in her diary. About them having to catch fish, fighting with her mom and to count and recount their food supply. But now she has a new person to write about, Alex, who she begins to fall in love with. Its book is so realistic to me that once I get dragged into the story, its hard to get out. It took me all of two days to read this book, that's how much I enjoyed it. This last book made me want to read more about Miranda and Alex and all the other characters, but it ended very well, so I approve. Even though this series is over, its definitely something I am going to want to re read time and time again.

No comments:

Post a Comment