July 22, 2010

Review: Life As We Knew It

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

About: It's almost the end of Miranda's sophomore year in high school, and her journal reflects the busy life of a typical teenager: conversations with friends, fights with mom, and fervent hopes for a driver's license. When Miranda first begins hearing the reports of a meteor on a collision course with the moon, it hardly seems worth a mention in her diary. But after the meteor hits, pushing the moon off its axis and causing worldwide earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanoes, all the things Miranda used to take for granted begin to disappear. Food and gas shortages, along with extreme weather changes, come to her small Pennsylvania town; and Miranda's voice is by turns petulant, angry, and finally resigned, as her family is forced to make tough choices while they consider their increasingly limited options. Yet even as suspicious neighbors stockpile food in anticipation of a looming winter without heat or electricity, Miranda knows that that her future is still hers to decide even if life as she knew it is over. (from amazon.com)

Review: It feels like all I've been reading lately is end of the world, zombie, apocalyptic/post apocalyptic books, but I just can't get enough of them! Life As We Knew It was simply amazing. I read it mostly online from 4shared.com and couldn't stop reading after the first chapter. Miranda is a typical teenager, and though I'm slightly older than she is, I could still relate to her. At times it felt as though it was my family, because it reminded me a lot of my own and my mom and brothers and I found myself getting very attached to each character. Her feelings, her family, her worries, fears and happiness were easily portrayed through the book, I felt for the character, I felt happy when she did, worried and scared with her. The way the book is set up, written as a diary, is so interesting to read. I liked how realistic everything was, the way they rushed to the grocery store to stock up on food, and just the way Miranda, her family and neighbours respond and react to everything happening. Although the whole time I was waiting for something extremely major to happen, Pfeffer kept the intensity to a minimum but really put a reality on things that would happen to Miranda and her family. Such as the lurking gray sky, the horrible blizzards, the illnessess and deaths having to ration their food, wood, electricity and water. In the end I was just overjoyed with the way things ended in this book. This is the first book in The Last Survivors Books, and I've already begun reading book two, The Dead and The Gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment